Torre Scola Tower in Italy. The Scola Tower (Torre Scola on

Torre Scola Tower in Italy. The Scola Tower (Torre Scola on

12/31/2021, 6:58:14 AM
Torre Scola Tower in Italy. The Scola Tower (Torre Scola on Italian), originally known as the tower of St. John the Baptist (Torre di San Giovanni Battista), is a military structure situated in the western part of the Gulf of La Spezia (or Gulf of Poets) in the coastal region of Liguria in north-western Italy. The tower, or what was left of it, is more than 42 feet tall and it looks like as it is rising from the sea. It was constructed by the citizens of Genoa (actually by the Senate of the Republic of Genoa) in 1606 on a rock in front of the northeastern side of the island of Palmaria in the town of Porto Venere, now in the Province of La Spezia. It was one of the many towers originally designed as part of a large defensive system constructed on the Ligurian coast in order to provide protection from the enemies. Its main purpose was to protect the cove Olivo on the Palmaria island, but also the towns of Porto Venere and Lerici. During this period the Portovenere Fortress was also built, the San Giorgio castle in La Spezia was enlarged and the castle of Lerici was strengthened. Years later after its construction, it was named Torre Scola after the Palmaria island’s tip in front of it. The Scola Tower is pentagonal in shape. It was built with large blocks of square stone and has a thickness of the walls of approximately 4 feet. Knowing this fact it became very obvious why a significant part of the architecture of the structure has survived the turbulent events and the passage of the time. Its corners are topped with a turret and an observational opening for the 10 canons which were meant to protect the area from attacks from the sea. The fort was designed to accommodate 8 soldiers (including a bomber (master “bombardero”) and their captain). #tower The gulf saw real action at the beginning of the 19th century when the British tried to remove Napoleon’s troops out of the region. The British bombardment seriously damaged the tower during the naval battle held between the French and the British fleets on 23rd June 1800. A significant part of the structure was broke down and it was not functional any more. Very soon it was completely abandoned.

Related articles