The Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut, also known as

3/20/2021, 8:13:35 PM
The Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut, also known as the Djeser-Djeseru  is a mortuary temple of Ancient Egypt located in Upper Egypt. Built for the Eighteenth Dynasty queen Hatshepsut, who died in 1458 BC, the temple is located beneath the cliffs at Deir el-Bahari on the west bank of the Nile near the Valley of the Kings. This mortuary temple is dedicated to Amun and Hatshepsut and is situated next to the mortuary temple of Mentuhotep II, which served both as an inspiration and, later, a quarry. It is considered one of the "incomparable monuments of ancient Egypt . Hatshepsut's chancellor, the royal architect Senenmut, oversaw the construction of the temple Although the adjacent, earlier mortuary temple of Mentuhotep II was used as a model, the two structures are nevertheless significantly different in many ways. Hatshepsut's temple employs a lengthy, colonnaded terrace that deviates from the centralised structure of Mentuhotep’s model – an anomaly that may be caused by the decentralized location of her burial chamber  There are three layered terraces reaching 29.5 metres (97 ft) tall. Each story is articulated by a double colonnade of square piers, with the exception of the northwest corner of the central terrace, which employs proto-Doric columns to house the chapel. These terraces are connected by long ramps which were once surrounded by gardens with foreign plants including frankincense and myrrh trees The temple incorporates pylons, courts, hypostyle, sun court, chapel, and sanctuary. Photos taken by @bernhard _rieger

Related articles